Monday, June 15, 2009

The Residents - For Elsie


If you have never heard of The Residents, reading this description will not do the band justice. In short: The Residents are a collective of four anonymous musicians that play experimental music and wear giant eyeballs on their heads (except for one band member, whose eye was stolen and replaced with a black skull. Supposedly a curse was put on the stolen eye). They're from San Francisco, and have been around since the early '70's.

I have struggled for quite some time over which of The Residents' cd's I should post as each offers something entirely different. For awhile I was leaning toward not posting any of their stuff because of the amount of time that is put into the design of their cd's. But then I found For Elsie. I don't think this cd is in print anymore and it was in extremely limited distribution when it was originally released.

What we have here musically is a 28 minute re-interpretation of Beethoven's timeless piece, Fur Elise. Let me just say that I hate cover songs. But as I said, this is not a cover, it is a re-interpretation and is highly original. Although this is not particularly representative of The Residents' sound at any one period, this is, in my opinion, one of the best things they have released. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjymziodmmg

No comments:

Post a Comment