Monday, June 1, 2009

HIP HOP SERIES FINALE: O.T.C.


I hope you're ready for this shit right here.

Cadalack Ron (above, far below).

The OTC Crew, aka the Opiate Taking Criminals, aka the Offensive Taxidermist Cannibals, aka the Omnivorous Tree Creatures, are finally, out [of] the catacombs. T'was formed by rappers Cadalack Ron, Simon Fenix, and Epic, sometime around the year 2000.

It was only a couple of years after their formation when I first heard OTC. I admired it (most of these songs were made while these rappers were 19-22 years old), but I didn't think much of it. Don't make the same mistake.

I haven't really heard a hip hop cd that comes close to being as real as anything OTC has done. The songs on this cd are despicable, raw, and unapologetic... everything hip hop should be. What sets them apart though, above all, is their intelligence. The OTC crew has seen it all: From prestigious universities like Reed and Evergreen, where Cadalack Ron and Simon Fenix went to school (respectively); To the crack houses, hallucinations, and jails that were all parts of their everyday lives.

Resident Anti-hero (Simon Fenix's current project). Etheric Double and Simon Fenix (don't they look friendly?)

Once I got into OTC, I thought I was done with hip hop. I didn't think I'd find anything better than them. I've realized the mistake in thinking this way, but for me, this is everything hip hop should be. I never say any rappers are better than these guys, and there are only a few that I think are of the same caliber. Check it out and see for yourself, I guarantee you haven't heard anything quite like it.

P.S:
This shit is janky. Probably the ultimate janky. There are a few songs with the correct titles, but I took the first lines in most of the songs and made them the titles, just to make it easier on the eyes. This cd is not an "official" release, but a kind of best-of mixtape that I made.

P.P.S: 
If you're interested in seeing what these guys are up to now, check out their myspaces (listed below).


Get the janky OTC mixtape here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?neyg4i2zzdh

And the myspaces...

Cadalack Ron: http://www.myspace.com/cadalackblacktarrapstar
Resident Anti-hero: http://www.myspace.com/residentantihero

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. yo this is cadalack ron, it brings great joy to my heart to find people that are still listening to OTC in 2009...
    thank you for the link, and the free press.

    i can also provide anyone who is interested in more OTC recordings...

    cadalack ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be provided with those recordings good sir. Big ups to kool hercamir and esp. Cadalack ron. word.

    laadpp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is SImon Fenix, currently known as Master Gunnery Sergeant Fenix with Resident Anti-Hero. I am beyond humbled at the above words, and much like my brother Cadalack Ron, it brings deep satisfaction and joy to me knowing that the OTC is still alive in the hearts and minds of others. We OTC emcees were the last of a dying breed when we arrived, and currently feel like an endangered species on the whole. Only the love and respect of true Hip Hop fans keeps us alive in the present. Thank you for all the support. Stay in touch with Arch Druids and Resident Anti-Hero, me and Ron's projects that carry in them the OTC legacy. And may the words of OTC create a thousand more underground rappers, willing to kill microphones and slit throats for the love of Hip Hop. I leave you with words that Ron wrote, that never left me:
    "Hip Hop is my life, its something fucking sacred, I'm sick and tired of watching all these idiots fucking rape it taking it for granted...."

    ReplyDelete