Thursday, May 7, 2009

Les Rallizes Denudes - '77 Live



Before I say anything about the music on this cd, I want to tell you how I came to have it, which, I think, is a pretty funny story. I was in New York, visiting my sisters, and wanted to get some music. One of my sisters, and her boyfriend of the time, took me to a store called Other Music (I've mentioned it before, I think). This was a couple of years ago, before I knew much about Japanese Psychedelic music. So after browsing for about 20 minutes, and not finding anything I wanted, I told her that I was ready to leave. Apparently, one of the employees heard me. I turned around to find myself staring at a scrawny, bearded, curly-haired, music-nerd employee. "What are you into?" he asked. I think I told him something along the lines of acid mothers, soft machine, etc. He goes and gets this cd, and upon returning excitedly exclaims, "Dude, this shit is so far out there! You gotta be trippin' your ass off to even begin to understand this!" I looked at my sister - both of us were trying not to laugh. Two things were going through my mind: 1) this guy is ridiculously funny and, 2) he might be on to something. So I bought the cd.

Les Rallizes Denudes is now one of my favorite bands, not only because of their music, which I will elaborate on later, but also because of their historical, cultural, and social relevance. The band formed in 1967, and in 1970, the band's original bass player, Moriaki Wakabayashi, was involved in the hi-jacking of Japan Airlines Flight 351, orchestrated by the Japanese Red Army. The JRA were a militant ultra-leftist group, founded by Fusako Shigenobu, responsible for numerous terrorist attacks. Les Rallizes Denudes singer, Takashi Mizutani, was supposedly offered a role in the hi-jacking of Flight 351, but turned it down. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the band's political actions, try and think of one band from the United States or England, or anywhere really, who has been this active. It's interesting stuff to me...but now onto the music.

There is a very psychedelic sound here. Lots of reverb on the guitar and vocals along with some really nice sounding fuzzy distortion. At times, this cd reminds me of early American Surf-Music. Then, at other times, there are long noisy jams that are quite original and esoteric, yet still very accessible. It is a great honor to present to you Les Rallizes Denudes.

Disc 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?inh1zjyzwnm
Disc 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?zwmzvnlyz1h

6 comments:

  1. Hmm... I am out right now, but I will re-post it when I get home. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Sven_H

    And also, Don't whiz on the electric fence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on this site but once before. I will likely never return. But I have too tell you. You are one of the most important people in my life. Your random encounter at some random music store 100's of miles from where I live gave me the most important album in my life. You and me will never meet. But I mean this from the depths of my heart when I say I love you.

    ReplyDelete