Wednesday, July 8, 2009

JFA - Blatant Localism


I started listening to JFA when I was around 15...8th or 9th grade probably. Unfortunately, I can't remember how I found out about them...I want to say I heard them playing in a record store, but I'm not sure. But that's not so important.
JFA (Jodie Foster's Army) are a hard-core-skate-punk that formed in '81. The band's name is a sort of tastelessly awesome homage to the attempted assassination of former president Ronald Reagan (who seemed to be on par with Hitler for most punks of the time). John Hinckley Jr., Reagan's would-be assassin, who had a sick obsession with Jodie Foster, thought, for some strange reason, that killing the president and becoming a national celebrity would somehow impress Foster. Hinckley's plan kind of back-fired in that: 1)he did not kill the president 2)he did not impress Jodie Foster, and 3)he is still in a psych-hospital.
A'right now, enough with the history lesson. The music here is fast, abrasive, and charmingly pissed-off. There are less politically-tinged lyrics than you'd expect. In the end, you can tell that these guys just wanted to drink beer, skate, and play some great music.
For fans of Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedy's, etc.
Enjoy:http://www.mediafire.com/?yljyhtwifi2

No comments:

Post a Comment